I love avocado. I love it in guacamole, I love it sliced and served with Mexican food; I even like eating it right out of the shell as a snack. But I’ve never tried avocado soup. This will change soon, as I recently discovered a recipe in one of my mother’s cookbooks, Cooking with Just Four Ingredients.
(The picture actually comes from a different, somewhat more complicated recipe from sheknows.com).
Not only does it have only four ingredients, but it only has a few steps.
Yield: Serves 4
2 large ripe avocados
1 1/4 cups sour cream
4 cups chicken broth
small bunch fresh cilantro
Garnish: lime juice, salsa
- Cut avocados in half, peel and pit them. Chop fruit coarsely & put in food processor with 3-4 tbsp sour cream. Process til smooth.
- Heat chicken stock in a pan. When it’s hot but below simmering point, stir in the rest of the cream with salt to taste.
- Gradually stir avocado mix into hot broth. Heat gently but don’t let mixture approach boiling point.
- Chop cilantro. Ladle soup into heated bowls & sprinkle with chopped cilantro & black pepper. Serve immediately.
- Tagged 30 minutes or less, 5 ingredients or less, avocado, blender, cilantro, dinner, food, lime, lunch, main course, Mexican, sides, soup, sour cream
My mother has a huge collection of cookbooks, and these days I look through them almost every time I see her. Cooking with Just Four Ingredients caught my eye immediately, and yielded this Greek egg-lemon soup. I’m excited to try it–especially as it takes only about 10 minutes to make.
This picture doesn’t actually correspond to this particular recipe (it’s from here), but it’s a pretty representative picture of an Avgolemono soup without pieces of chicken in it.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total time: About 10 minutes
- 7 1/2 cups chicken stock (when recipes say chicken stock, I use good-quality canned chicken broth).
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta or other small shapes
- 3 eggs
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Pour chicken broth in large pan & bring to boil
- Add orzo or other small pasta & cook for 5 mins, or according to packet instructions
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until frothy, then add lemon juice and cold water to them.
- Slowly stir a ladleful of hot chicken broth into the egg mixture, then add one or two more.
- Remove pan from heat, pour in egg mixture and stir well. Season to taste with salt & black pepper & serve immediately. (No, I’m not sure what’s up with the confusing back-and-forth between the pan on the stove and the bowl with the eggs. I’m guessing these steps help the ingredients mix better, avoid curdling, or both).
- Do NOT let the soup boil once egg, lemon juice and stock mix has been added, or it will curdle.