This recipe comes from one of my mom’s old copies of Bon Appetit, so no picture, unfortunately. Couscous cooks quickly; the whole thing takes about 15 minutes. Peas and carrots add nutrition while lemon juice, lemon peel and chicken broth provide flavor.
Yield: 6 servings
Total time: 15 minutes (10 if you mince the carrots with a food processor, but that’s canceled out by the time needed to disassemble and wash the food processor).
1 1/2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1/4 cup water
2 carrots, minced (or frozen carrots if you’re really in a hurry)
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 1/4 cups plain couscous
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Bring broth & 1/4 cup water to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots & cook 2 minutes.
- Add peas. Cook 4 minutes if fresh & 1 minute if frozen.
- Add couscous & cook 30 seconds, stirring often.
- Add lemon juice, peel & butter. Stir til melted & smooth.
- Remove from heat, cover & let stand 5 mins.
- Fluff with fork, season with salt & pepper, & serve.
And presto, couscous!